Hello! My name is Tara and I am former middle school teacher and school librarian. Currently, I am a doctoral student in education at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I love YA literature so much that I am making it my life’s work, from teaching university classes on the topic to writing academic scholarship on novels of note. And, as of right now, my dissertation will focus on BookTube. So that’s kind of exciting.
But don’t let my academic slant scare you. I started this blog before I started my Ph.D because reading is my hobby and books are my passion. I’ve been about these parts for SIX YEARS (yikes!) and I plan to stay around for many more. My focus is usually on book reviews and education issues, though occasionally I dabble in random things unrelated to either. Check out my Best Of The Librarian page for my favorite articles and posts!
Three things you need to know about me:
- I turned 32 this summer, but I feel 27 (probably because I’ve spent all of my 20s in graduate school!)
- I’m queer. I don’t meet a lot of LGBTQ bloggers, so if you identify as such, please let me know and we’ll be BFFs.
- I’m now a married lady!
Three things you need to know about this blog:
- I’ve been blogging for 6 years, since before this whole Ph.D business took place.
- I do try to write critical reviews. No book is perfect. Academics critique things, that’s what we do.
- This blog definitely has a feminist/social justice slant.
Three favorite genres:
- Literary YA (it’s a thing)
- Adult nonfiction (pop sociology/economics/psychology moreso than history and memoirs)
Three favorite books of all time:
- The Harry Potter series (duh)
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
Three favorite authors:
- AS King
- John Corey Whaley
- Andrew Smith