I’m often asked for book recommendations, so I’ll share a few with you here! I’ll start with my favorite authors and books, and then include a running list of all my 5-star reviews if you are looking for something else/something different!
1984 by George Orwell
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
John Corey Whaley
Where Things Come Back A teenage boy tries to figure out why his brother disappeared.
Noggin A boy has his head reattached to a cancer-free body, and must navigate adolescent life as the second successful full-body transplant patient
Highly Illogical Behavior A girl befriends a boy with agoraphobia.
The Dust of 100 Dogs A 16th century pirate girl is cursed to live the lives of 100 dogs and comes back as 21st century teenage girl when the last life has been lived.
Ask the Passengers A story about a girl trying to unravel her attraction to another girl.
Please Ignore Vera Dietz A girl is dealing with the death of her best friend, Charlie, and the role she may have played in it.
Reality Boy A former child reality TV star struggles with his complex family life.
Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future A girl and her friend begin seeing visions from the future and struggle to understand what they mean.
I Crawl Through It A surrealist novel about four teens struggling with the after effects of trauma.
Still Life With Tornado
The Ruby Oliver Quartet A series of comical books about a quirky Seattle girl learning to manage her panic attacks and anxiety disorder…as well as friends and boys.
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks Angry that she is not allowed to join her boarding school’s all-male secret prankster club, Frankie takes matters into her own hands and starts pranking the boys.
Fly on the Wall A modern take on Kafka’s Metamorphsis…featuring a teenager girl who wants to know what goes on in the boy’s locker room.
We Were Liars Four very privileged teens summer on an exclusive island, but something happened last summer that left one of them unable to remember the past.
Grasshopper Jungle A boy narrates life in the middle of a grasshopper apocalypse (meaning the world is being taken over by giant grasshopper-like bugs that eat you alive).
Winger Ryan Dean is the youngest kid at his boarding school and on the rugby team, and he can’t help but keep getting in trouble.
100 Sideways Miles Finn sees time as the miles earth travels through space, and Finn knows that things can change in the span of a few short miles.
- Cockpit Confidential (standalone) by Patrick Smith
- Reign of Error (standalone) by Diane Ravitch
- Tune: Still Life (Tune #2) by Derek Kirk Kim
- Dragonslippers: This is What an Abusive Relationship Looks Like (standalone) by Rosalind B. Penfold
- God Box, The (standalone) by Alex Sanchez
- Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock (standalone) by Matthew Quick
- What the Dog Saw (standalone) by Malcolm Gladwell
- Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead
- Independent Study (The Testing #2) by Joelle Charbonneau
- Redefining Girly: How Parents Can Fight the Stereotyping and Sexualizing of Girlhood, from Birth to Teen (standalone) by Melissa Wardy
- Winger (standalone) by andrew smith
- Summer Prince, The (standalone) by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- College (Un)Bound (standalone) by Jeffrey J. Selingo
- Beginning of Everything, The (standalone) by Robyn Schneider
- Tragedy Paper, The (standalone) by Elizabeth LaBan
- Seers, The (The Holders #2) by Julianna Scott
- Better Off Friends (standalone) by Elizabeth Eulberg
- Panic (standalone) by Lauren Oliver
- Starters (Starters #1) by Lissa Price
- Death-Struck Year, A (standalone) by Makiia Lucier
- Alienated (Alienated #1) by Melissa Landers
- Going Over (standalone) by Beth Kephart
- Hidden (standalone) by Greg Salsedo, Loic Dauvillier, Marc Lizano
- Summer I Wasn't Me, The (standalone) by Jessica Verdi
- Tilt (standalone) by Ellen Hopkins
- Perfect Score Project, The (standalone) by Debbie Stier
- Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
- One Man Guy (standalone) by Michael Barakiva
- Boy on the Wooden Box, The (standalone) by Leon Leyson
- Biggest Flirts (The Superlatives #1) by Jennifer Echols
- Conversion by Katherine Howe
- Think Like a Freak (Freakonomics #3) by Stephen Dubner, Steven Levitt
- Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
- Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices (standalone) by Cherry Cheva, David Yoo, Debbie Rigaud, Francisco X. Stork, Gene Luen Yang, Greg Neri, Mitali Perkins, Naomi Shihab Nye, Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich, Varian Johnson
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Landline (standalone) by Rainbow Rowell
- Terrorist's Son, The (standalone) by Zak Ebrahim
- Sold (standalone) by Patricia McCormick
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis #1) by Marjane Satrapi
- I'll Give You the Sun (Standalone) by Jandy Nelson
- Kite Runner, The (standalone) by Khaled Hosseini
- Gabi, a Girl in Pieces (standalone) by Isabel Quintero
- Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks) by Miranda Kenneally
- Famous in Love (Famous in Love #1) by Rebecca Serle
- To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1) by Jenny Han
- None of the Above (standalone) by I. W. Gregorio
- Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke (Prisoner of Night and Fog #2) by Anne Blankman
- 99 Days (standalone) by Katie Cotugno
- Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Geek Girls, The (standalone) by Sam Maggs
- Belzhar (standalone) by Meg Wolitzer
- Truly, Madly, Famously (Famous in Love, #2) (Famous In Love #2) by Rebecca Serle
- Troop, The (standalone) by Nick Cutter
- I Crawl Through It (standalone) by
- Challenger Deep (standalone) by Neal Shusterman
- Study in Charlotte, A (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro
- Small Great Things (standalone) by Jodi Picoult
- You Will Know Me (standalone) by Megan Abbott
- Weight of Zero, The (standalone) by Karen Fortunati
- Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things #1) by Sona Charaipotra, Dhonielle Clayton
- First Class Murder (Wells and Wong #3) by Robin Stevens
- If I Was Your Girl (standalone) by Meredith Russo
- Program, The (The Program #1) by Suzanne Young
- Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth
- Brain Camp (standalone) by Faith Erin Hicks, Laurence Klavan, Susan Kim
- Ketchup Clouds (standalone) by Annabel Pitcher
- Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1) by Aimée Carter
- Lord of Opium, The by Nancy Farmer
- Lucy Variations, The (standalone) by Sara Zarr
- Auschwitz (standalone) by Sybille Steinbacher
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants (standalone) by Malcolm Gladwell
- End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason, The (standalone) by Sam Harris
- Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
- Chapel Wars, The by Lindsey Leavitt
- Something Real (standalone) by Heather Demetrios
- Guy in Real Life (standalone) by Steve Brezenoff
- How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of my Life (standalone) by Scott Adams
- Enders (Starters #2) by Lissa Price
- Bumped (Bumped #1) by Megan McCafferty
- Falls the Shadow by Stefanie Gaither
- Marx by Corrine Maier
- Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-Up (standalone) by Grace Helbig
- Little Something Different, A (standalone) by Sandy Hall
- Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom by Sue Macy
- Scripted by Maya Rock
- We All Looked Up (standalone) by Tommy Wallach
- Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
- Cage, The (The Cage #1) by Megan Shepherd
- Secret History, The (standalone) by Donna Tartt
- Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
- Killer Game (standalone) by Kirsty McKay
- Heart Goes Last, The (Positron #0.5) by Margaret Atwood
- Liberal Redneck Manifesto: Draggin' Dixie Outta the Dark, The (standalone) by Trae Crowder, Drew Morgan, Corey Ryan Forrester